In response to the growing public interest in nutrition, National Nutrition Month was created in March 1973 to educate and provide information about the importance of making informed food choices and developing sound eating and physical activity habits.
Here are a few healthy tips to help boost your personal nutrition and help you become a healthier and happier you:
- Eat Breakfast - Start your day with a healthy breakfast that includes lean protein, whole grains, fruit, and vegetables.
- Watch Portion Sizes - Make half your plate fruit and vegetables and the other half for grains and lean protein foods. Measuring cups will help you compare your portions to the recommended serving size.
- Know Your Food Labels - Reading and understanding the Nutrition Facts panel will help you choose foods and drinks that meet your nutrient needs
- Fix Healthy Snacks - Choose two or more grains, fruits, vegetables, dairy, and protein to sustain your energy levels between meals.
- Drink More Water - Drink water instead of drinks with added sugars and empty calories.
- Reduce Added Sugars - Foods and drinks with added sugars can contribute empty calories with little or no nutrition.
- Eat Seafood Twice a Week - Seafood - fish and shellfish - contain a range of nutrients including healthy omega-3 fats.
- Explore New Foods and Flavors - Add more nutrition and eating pleasure by expanding your range of food choices. Select new fruit, vegetables, or whole grains to try out at mealtime.
For more healthy tips check out https://www.eatright.org/ for free tips on food, health, and more!
Here’s to a healthier, happier you!