It is very important to keep track of all of your personal belongings in the event something catastrophic happens to you. We hope that disaster never happens to us, but we must be prepared for the worst.
Think about how difficult it would be to list all of your personal belongings after they are lost. Chances are some things would be forgotten or you would not have proof that you owned them initially.
A Home Inventory ensures that your belongings are protected.
You need to complete a Household Inventory and make sure that it is updated frequently, especially after any big purchases. Having a Household Inventory will protect your belongings in the event that they are damaged or destroyed, as well as help you maximize your insurance claim payment.
An accurate inventory and proof of ownership at the time of a loss can make the claim settlement easier and faster.
Taking inventory can be tedious, but if you ever have a fire, break-in, or damage or destruction to your property, you’ll be glad you have a record of what you own.
Tips for building your home inventory:
- List the value of each of your possessions
- List serial numbers when possible
- Keep receipts in a fireproof box if possible or keep a copy of receipts by scanning them and saving them electronically.
- Take photos and video of your belongings while you narrate with the description of the item and the price paid.
- Store these files online so you can access them from anywhere.
- It is not necessary to photograph every book and CD you own...taking a photo of your bookcase or china cabinet will be sufficient.
- Take advantage of technology - there are many apps and excel templates available that you can download to digitally store all the information you need.
Complete Your Home Inventory Today & Make Sure You Are Protected Tomorrow