Summertime is now in full swing, bringing not only sunny days but also potential summer storms. Summer storms have the potential to cause serious damage to your home and property.
If there is damage to your house or property, you may need to make a claim on your homeowner’s policy. Here are a few tips that can make the claim process easier, not just in summertime but all year round as well:
- Keep an Up To Date Home Inventory - Keeping an up to date inventory of your household belongings is key to making the claims process go quickly. This is especially true for the more expensive items in your home, including jewelry.
- Keep receipts in a fireproof box if possible or keep a copy of receipts by scanning them and saving them electronically.
- Take photos and video of your belongings while you narrate with the description of the item and the price paid.
- Store these files online so you can access them from anywhere.
- It is not necessary to photograph every book and CD you own...taking a photo of your bookcase or china cabinet will be sufficient.
- Use a Home Inventory app – there are several apps available for IOS and Android that allows you to store all the important information you need including pictures, receipts, registration/serial numbers, purchase date and more! Here are two I found that are available for iPhone and Android: Sortly and Encircle: Home Inventory.
Hopefully you will not have to make a claim on your homeowner’s policy at any time, but if you do, use these tips to help make sure that the claims process goes as smoothly and efficiently as possible.