We hear people talk about stress all the time. We say we’re “stressed-out”, but many of us may not know what stress really is. The term 'stress' refers to the response you have when facing circumstances that force you to act, change, or adjust in some way to maintain your footing, or to keep things balanced.
Here are 5 tips that, when observed, will help you take charge and beat the stress —
- Focus on Your Health — You are not healthy when you’re constantly tired and run-down. Make an annual physical appointment. Staying healthy and feeling good are essential to reducing stress.
- Learn to Relax — Take a moment to just breathe, meditate, pray, etc. Take a breath and think about something positive, peaceful and soothing. It’s a perfect way to break the cycle of task-related stresses.
- Get Some Exercise — When you’re stressed, exercise may be the last thing you feel like doing. However, helping your body relieve stress through planned exercise will improve your stamina, help you feel good about yourself, and actually help avoid exhaustion in the long run. Walking 3-5 times a week is a great way to start an exercise regimen.
- Talk to Your Inner Self — Keep a journal or talk to yourself while driving. It doesn’t matter if the conversation is one-sided and reflective. It just matters that you take the time to think about your experiences. You’ll be amazed at how getting things out will lighten your spirit.
- Smile — Seriously, just smile. It will help. It’s a fact. You can’t hold a negative thought with a genuine smile on your face. Very few things can reduce stress better than a funny moment and the smile it brings.
Laughter is, after all, the best medicine!